Deacon Dr. Fresh Wine Newsletter

A Wine Newsletter With An Edge - Definitely NOT your typical white bread, mofo, cracker, peckerwood, jank, peckercracker wine newsletter! If this info is too advanced for you, check out my other newsletter: Wine for Dix at http://winefordix.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

World's Lurchest Wine Writer - The Gangsta of the Grape - The Sultan of Shiraz - The Buccaneer of Burgundy - The Prince of Pinot Noir - Yellow Tail's Bane - Locus of the Ladies' Focus - Wielder of the trousered Hammer of Thor - I have arrived to rescue the wine world from overly-serious, rigid, deconstructionist, rooster juice peckerwoods who'd never dream of gettin' a tattoo or crackin' a smile. I am without a doubt, the smartest, funniest and toughest sumbitch in the entire wine industry. And I aint goin' away. All disputes will be settled bare-knuckled in the Octagon. You heard me. Oh, and by the way...Bite me crank!

Friday, September 23, 2005

Stratus Wines and Winery

Stratus Wines and Winery rate a perfect 10

Greetings Children of the Grape! Here’s an excerpt from a recent wine e-letter (remember them?) when I reviewed Canada’s Finest Winery...

Last Saturday I attended the Niagara Wine Festival with my wife Heather and my nieces, Michelle and Gillian. One of the "wineries" we toured was so horrible that I will not dignify its swill with further words. But then there’s Stratus...

Stratus is stratospheric! It's the only Niagara winery that rates a perfect 10 in the Deacon's book! The atmosphere is fresh and alive. The staff could work for the Ritz Carlton and the wines are to die for! A flight of 3 of their premium wines will run you ten bucks, a bargain once you taste them. I fell in love with their 2001 Cabernet Franc.
This luscious red is everything a Cab Franc should be. It's layered with warmth, sweet bell-peppers, a hint of the forest floor, touches of thuja and mouth-filling berries. I can't imagine what this would be like decanted for an hour. The tannins are firm but unobtrusive, and show wonderful aging potential, although it would be great right now with barbecued lamb skewers. I think it ran me about 32 bucks and will prove to be worth every damn cent! It's probably the best Cab Franc I've ever tried.

We sampled 6 Stratus wines, all served with breadsticks and fresh water and there was only one I wasn't totally knocked out by: their Stratus White. I found it tried too hard to be all things to all people, with every white you can name thrown into the barrel. Perhaps this is something for the mofos - who knows? I just found the Gewurtztraminer aroma to be a little excessively flowery and cloying in the nose. I like Gewurtz, but I've never liked it when it's blended with Sauvignon Blanc, but that's just me. There was nothing whatever wrong with the wine, it just wasn't for my palate, so I'm still giving the Stratus geniuses a perfect score!

Keep drinking. A lot.

You heard me.

Deacon Dr. Fresh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Deacon Dr. Fresh Wine Newsletter